Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to work through bouts of depression
I haven't seen too much on this topic, but I've been inactive for a little while. I just wanted to address the issue of working through bouts of depression as a sigma. 

Pretty much all aspects of my life are rolling. Career, game, lifestyle, education, hobbies, but I still struggle from time to time with societal withdrawal and subsequent depression. My depression isn't deep, but its been an ongoing issue for my entire life. I suspect much of it has to do with living outside the socio sexual hierarchy as I have most of my life. 

I'd like to share some things that help me when I go through such bouts in case I can be of help to others:
1. Reading stoic literature
2. Dating 
3. Physical exercise

I put reading stoic literature first because it refocuses my mind on what's important. Dating is a quick pick me up... I never let them know I'm down, and its easy "yes's." And, of course, looking and feeling good.

Hopefully this is beneficial to someone. Its basically a quick overview of much of what Jabba teaches, with a bend on working through bouts of depression.
Lots of walking can help, but this falls under the bracket of exercise.
Also, keeping your eyes open and realising that there are people far worse off than you.  It's an old cliche but today (for example) I saw a young blind woman, and a kid who couldn't walk properly.  
Feeling sorry for yourself is shameful when you compare yourself to people who have problems like this.  I think it's a symptom of today's entitled times...When the storm comes it might not be a bad thing in my opinion.
Do you actually want to make progress with your goals : aesthetic, business, women, fitness?  Check out the Secret Society VIP Members Club.
Check it out
I am struggling with this a lot, not sure if it can help, but here's my two cents:

1. Idle mind is the devils playground. Our great-grandfathers who slaved of on a farm had no time to be depressed. This kind of a mission-oriented-one-track-mind keeps me away from any dark thoughts. The problem is what do to when the mission is accomplished;
2. The most rewarding thing for me is helping someone out. Knowing that you've actually taken action and made some else's life better steers off a lot of dark emotions. What is important here is to be selfless and not expect any gratitude;
3. Obviously the problems you have are serious (if they last a whole lifetime) and will take time to solve them, months and years, not days. Make peace with the fact that the problem is a part of you and that you will not get rid of it all at once. You are not alone, millions of men out there are depressed and not doing anything about it.
As someone who tends to have a lot of depressing thoughts I have found that gym+vitamin suplement (D, Calcium, Zinc and Magnessium among others)+walking makes me feel less hopeless when I enter the rabbit hole of my fucked up past and make me feel that I can deal with it.

But to be honest, I believe a lot of 'depression' comes from not being able to get laid for a long time because that can be really painful for the selfsteem.
So much useful knowledge for battling the black dog.

Depression sucks, and sometimes you just have to brute force your way through the dark times.

If isolation is your thing, then it's time to start making phone calls to anyone you know.

At this point most guys say something lame like "I don't know what to say" or "I haven't got anything to say that they would want to hear".
So try this... stop thinking about yourself non-stop and call someone and just ask how they are doing, how their family is and if their job is ok. People love to be asked questions like this and they will steer the conversation. Don't think this can be replicated by trawling social media feeds, adding a few "likes" to a Facebook post. It's not the same thing at all.

Phone someone and ask them about themselves.

Repeat. Repeat.

Ask if you can be of assistance to them in some simple way. Whatever it takes.
(01-19-2020, 03:32 AM)frank Wrote: So much useful knowledge for battling the black dog.

Depression sucks, and sometimes you just have to brute force your way through the dark times.

If isolation is your thing, then it's time to start making phone calls to anyone you know.

At this point most guys say something lame like "I don't know what to say" or "I haven't got anything to say that they would want to hear".
So try this... stop thinking about yourself non-stop and call someone and just ask how they are doing, how their family is and if their job is ok. People love to be asked questions like this and they will steer the conversation. Don't think this can be replicated by trawling social media feeds, adding a few "likes" to a Facebook post. It's not the same thing at all.

Phone someone and ask them about themselves.

Repeat. Repeat.

Ask if you can be of assistance to them in some simple way. Whatever it takes.
This is golden advice and hits the nail on the head.  If I was to boil down probably the no 1 personality defect that I've seen over the years from guys who have trouble with women, it's excessive self interest.  Infact I believe depression stems from it.

It's why my back instantly gets up when I see Youtube comments like "what about meeeeee", or "I'm definitely a Sigma Male"...And so on.  Very tiresome.

So if you're prone to this, listen to ole Frank here.   Wink
Do you actually want to make progress with your goals : aesthetic, business, women, fitness?  Check out the Secret Society VIP Members Club.
Check it out
But we cannot know if that's the cause or the effect, the simptom or the illness. A happy person may be more prone to help others as he can 'afford the cost' while a depressed person may feel that he cannot even help himself. Both cases leading to feedback loop.
I would argue that lots of people are selfinterested regardless of being happy or depressed being the difference that happy self interested people are having their lives progressing as they want while unhappy self interested ones have stagnated on the circunstances they didn't want.
Maybe the focus on themselves is a subconscius call to action to start investing on themselves till they can actually afford investing in others, being that an honest signal of the well being of the person while people who have their shit together feel a genuine desire to help others as a lot of succesful people report feeling a void that only helping others filled.